Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Here is a Doha Day!

We currently bank with Commerical Bank of Qatar who has been great but they now decided to hold our US checks for 45 days before giving us credit; even though my check clears our US account in 10-12 days. As a result, Steve's company has arranged another bank HSBC and they will credit our account in less than a week. First, I had to get a letter from the company and then arrange an appointment to open the account. After calling the man Aadel, he said, can you come in today? I said, no my husband works out of town a 50 minute drive. So what he said next just blew me away! Can I come to your residence or meet you at a coffee shop? I said, tonight....you would come to our villa? So tonight at 6:00 PM Aadel, a nice young man, showed up at our door had all the paperwork, explained the accounts and ATM card, credit cards etc. He asked which branch we wanted to house our account at and to pick up the cards. As he left, about 35 minutes, he said he would call me tomorrow with our account number and then call again when I could go "collect" the cards and deposit a check. Amazing!

3 comments:

The Carlsens said...

That sounds like service!

Vanalee said...

That definitely is amazing in a region where the attitude is generally "inshallah" Or they say "no problem madame" when it really can be a big problem! When we lived in Saudi I was one of the only two women in our town who would actually go in the bank. When Rick took me in to get me on the account they took him aside and made sure he knew that I could actually take all the money without his permission. Actually, I think if I would have tried they would have called him to tell him what I was doing. I love reading about your Doha days. It brings back memories our our time in the middle east.

Z. Marie said...

That's great! HSBC runs a lot of commercials on the international TV networks, but I've never dealt with them. (We've avoided opening a local bank account here, but USAA is about to start charging international transaction fees, so that could change.)